5.24.2005

Weddings and such

So I spent my weekend in MI serving as a bridesmaid in my cousin's wedding. I've posted some pics below so be sure to scroll down. And as much as I would like to be able to summarize the events of the few days for you, it was just too full and too random...and, to be honest, I'm still soaking it all in. So maybe this will turn into more than one post. But the Cliffnotes version is as follows...I got to spend time with a side of my family that I rarely see (I hadn't seen the cousin whose wedding I was in for at least 5 years) and it was a blast. And an eye-opener, as she and her siblings have kinda chosen a path of life much different than mine and my closer family members. So this led to me tearfully expressing my remorse over the gap that has grown between us throughout the years, which led to her tearfully hugging me and wishing to try to be better. I'm looking forward to that.

The reception was a not-so-delicate balance between honky-tonk sappiness, overplayed classics such as "YMCA" and "Celebrate," and ghetto-fabulousness. And when I say ghetto i mean GHETTO. Not to be derrogatory in the least...it's just a totally different world. We almost had a cat fight between one of the bridesmaids and the wife of one of the groomsman who, I have to say, was the blackest white woman I have ever met. My uncle stepped in to save the day. :) It truly was an experience. And I think my parents, especially my mother, will never be the same. When the people starting dancing (can I even call it that?) to 50's "In Da Club" I thought my mom's mouth was gonna hit the floor. Ha, it was a sight to behold.

But perhaps the most pertinent thing about the wedding was that it is directly responsible for causing me to withdraw from my Maymester statistics class. Who did I think I was to sign up for a 3 week course in which I would "learn" statistics? 3 weeks, are you KIDDING ME??!! Missing the first lab due to the wedding, and then with a midterm the Monday I returned...it was just too much. So now I'm soaking up the freedom of no classes for 2 weeks.

Wow is it late, folks. Bedtime for me....but tomorrow, why I want to join the Secret Service. Gotcha hooked, don't I? ;)

No comments: